Sunday, November 22, 2009

OPPORTUNITIES





It is Sunday evening and it has been a stifling hot day in Santa Luzia, Brasil. We just got back from the pool which was not very refreshing at temperature of about 80! Our house gets hit with direct sunlight all day and our portable air conditioner is not very effective. We also have a dead rat or some other varmit that is stinking up our house. You can just imagine the combination of a dead animal and intense heat-not a exactly a welcomed experience!

On a good note: I was able to get a few hours by myself today. I took a 6:30 A.M. bus into Belo Horizonte to go to the street fair. They start and end fairs early in Brasil because of the heat. I enjoyed walking around by myself without having to worry about keeping an eye on the kids. I ate a chicken skewer for breakfast and boy was it tasty! The fair was very crowded. I had to walk up the outside of the booths to keep from hyperventilating! The fair is several blocks long and about seven booths wide-its crazy!

It has been a fairly uneventful week. This is the end of the school year in Brasil so the students seem to have all gone into hiding to study for finals. I am winding down my English classes-in fact this will be my last week of teaching for the year. School ends around December 11th and the students take off for a seven week vacation. I am feeling sad about them leaving. Some of the college students (many of whom are my English Students) are graduating and I will probably never see most of them again. They come from all over Brasil which of course is a huge country!

The director of the Missionary College asked Marko and I to come back next year to start and run an intensive English Program for the students. Please join us in praying for this huge decision. I do not feel at all prepared to take on such a huge undertaking, but I am also aware that it is an amazing opportunity. What it really comes down to is what is God calling us to, and is running an English Program in Brasil a part of His plan for our lives? If it is, then He will give us the strength and ability to do so. We find ourselves with many different opportunities at this time in our lives and we just want to be obedient to the "call".

Since there is no theme to my blog today, I will just post some random pictures for you to enjoy including a couple of photos of our favorite little guy-Samuel and his parents, Maisel and Marcia!

1 comment:

  1. juks,

    love the picture of the man with the hats.

    miss you,

    dc

    ReplyDelete