Friday, August 14, 2009

BRAZILIAN "FOOTBALL"






A couple of weeks ago one of the locals, Yuri, took Marko, Sassan, and I to our first Brazilian football game. This was quite the adventure! First of all, the game started at 11:00 P.M.! Those of you who know us well, know that we are usually in bed by about 9:30 so this was an unusual event for us!

The game was like nothing I have ever experienced! I mean, we have been to Mariners games, etc... but football games in Brazil are WILD! The sport is so popular. Apparently you don't dare wear the wrong color to a game. If you accidently end up on the wrong side of the stadium wearing the wrong colors...well, let's just say that you could be in serious trouble from the opposing fans! Fortunately, there are a lot of Military Policia at the games so we felt relatively safe. This game was not one of the more important ones, but was crazy just the same. They even have a mote around the entire field so that crazed fans cannot storm the field!

We learned within the first five minutes that you don't sit down (except for halftime). The fans stand the entire game, yelling at the top of their lungs. It was very exciting and I will post some pictures so you can get an idea of what it looked like in the stadium.

Marko has been playing football a couple of times a month. For being an "old" guy, he is doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the young locals. Last night he played indoor football on a turf field. He told me that it was much easier on his knees and he plans to play there on Tuesday nights with the guys.

I am off to pick the boys up from school so I will say goodbye. We should have internet at the house by next week so it will be easier to keep up on the blog. I know I have promised more stories, and I have them to share as soon as I am able! Until then, bom dia (good day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment